- I don’t want to be trapped onboard. – You are allowed off! There are cruises that spend every day in port. And while onboard there is a multitude of things to do, both active and relaxing. The largest ships are as long as 4 football fields, and up to 16 decks; you’re more likely to get lost than feel trapped!
- Not long enough in port. – Depends on the cruise. There are cruise itineraries that are more destination focused that spend all day or overnight in ports, not just a few hours.
- I’m afraid of getting seasick. – If you’re sensitive to motion sickness, try a river cruise. These hugely popular cruises aren’t just in Europe; they are also on the rivers of North & South America, Asia and Africa.
- I hate lineups. – The general rule is the larger the ships, the more lineups. If your cruise ship carries less than 1,000 passengers it’s most likely not going to be a problem. If you are on a larger ship, you can opt for the set dining times, and take your time getting off the ship to avoid spending your time in line.
- I don’t like being nickeled and dimed.- Of course this can happen on a land vacation as well! But many budget and contemporary lines are known for the many add-ons. However, the premium and luxury lines as well as most river cruises include almost everything. On other lines you can often pre-pay for drink, specialty dinner or gratuity packages, or they can even be included in a promotion!
- I’ll gain weight. – This can happen on any vacation! Yes the food is usually fabulous and plentiful, but there are lots of healthy options. And there are lots of fun ways to stay active, from the gym, dance and exercise classes, swimming, and various sports, not to mention walking both in port and on deck.
- It’s too expensive. – There are cruises for every budget. Just be sure what your cruise price does and doesn’t cover.
I have many happy clients who prefer cruising as a holiday choice. But sometimes when I suggest a cruise to a new client I’ll hear one or more of these common myths;
Travel Consultant specializing in Cruise and Independent Travel.